Smoking cigarettes may be a fading fad here in Southern California, but thousands of people are still lighting up. And the toll smoking is taking on their health, especially oral health, is scary.
There are 4,800 chemicals in a single cigarette, and each one of them can bring harm to your gums, teeth, lungs, and heart.
According to the American Dental Association (ADA) and the World Health Organization (WHO), here are 10 reasons why people should quit smoking habit immediately.
1. Smoking may dry out your mouth, reducing saliva production, leaving bacteria, tar and chemicals to damage your gums and teeth.
2. Smoking may cause gum disease.
3. Smoking may dull your sense of taste and smell.
4. Smoking may give you bad breath.
5. Smoking may delay tooth adjustments with orthodontic work.
6. Smoking may delay healing after oral surgery.
7. Smoking may promote tooth decay.
8. Smoking may contribute to receding gums.
9. Smoking may be a contributing factor to failed dental implants.
10. Smoking may stain your teeth and tongue yellow.
If you smoke, talk to us about concerns you may have regarding your smoking habits. It may surprise you to discover that we are sympathetic to your situation and may be able to help you with alternatives and solutions regarding your overall oral health.
Is it time for a dental appointment? Contact us today!
THE SCIENCE OF SMILES® offers affordable cosmetic and laser dentistry and gentle, compassionate general dental care in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®.