No one is perfect. All of us have a few habits that we just can’t kick. And, as a Pasadena, CA dentist, I’ve seen it all — patients with excessive wear-and-tear, tooth damage, gum disease, even tooth loss are all caused by bad oral habits. Many of those patients could have prevented that damage just by modifying their lifestyles!
Here are 6 of the most common bad oral habits. Are you guilty of doing any of these?
- Chewing ice seems harmless, but the hardness of ice can chip or crack your teeth. Drink cold water or chew sugarless gum instead.
- Using your teeth to open bags and bottles can crack your natural teeth and destroy dental restorations. Open bottles and bags with your hands or scissors, and spend less time in the family dentistry office.
- Chewing pencils or pens damages tooth enamel and can chip or crack your teeth. Use writing utensils for writing, and chew on something healthier like sugarless gum.
- Drinking carbonated soda is a habit many people can’t bear to give up, but soda is acidic and full of sugar, and it contributes to tooth decay. Drink water instead.
- Brushing too hard may seem like a good dental care habit, but it can actually erode tooth enamel. Family dentistry professionals recommend brushing gently in a circular motion using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Smoking cigarettes is a horrible habit for many reasons. It stains your teeth and causes gum disease and oral cancer. If you can’t quit smoking on your own, seek professional help.
To learn about THE SCIENCE OF SMILES® in Pasadena, give us a call at (626) 624-4030 or make an appointment.
THE SCIENCE OF SMILES® offers affordable cosmetic and laser dentistry and gentle, compassionate general dental care in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®.