If you have diabetes, it’s important to take good care of your teeth and gums. Why? Gum disease can make it harder to control your diabetes.
So, what’s the connection? Research suggests that the relationship between peridontitis and diabetes is a two-way street.
- Periodontal (gum) disease is an infection of the gum and bone. People with uncontrolled blood sugar have a tendency to develop periodontal diseases more often and more severely. They’re also more likely to lose more teeth than people who have their diabetes under control.
- If you do have diabetes, it’s important that you talk to us about your condition. Be sure to get regular checkups at least every six months.
- Because diabetes reduces the body’s ability to fight infection, the gums are likely to be affected.
Managing Your Oral Health With Diabetes
The risk of gum disease in diabetes patients in threefold, compared to people without diabetes. Therefore, maintaining a good oral health routine is imperative!
Keep in mind as well that gum disease slowly progresses but the tissue destruction that occurs is largely irreversible. In the early stages, the condition is typically asymptomatic; it is not usually painful, and many patients are unaware until the condition has progressed enough to cause serious damage.
To keep oral health problems connected to diabetes in check, we recommend the following:
- Get your teeth and gums cleaned and checked regularly.
- Brush at least twice a day with a soft toothbrush. Pay special attention to the gum line.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Call your dentist if you have red, sore or hemorrhaging gums or a sore tooth.
- Follow your primary care doctor’s dietary recommendations.
- Don’t forget to take your medicine.
- Try to engage at the least 30 minutes of exercise most days.
- Check and record your blood glucose each day.
ABOUT THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®
THE SCIENCE OF SMILES® offers affordable cosmetic and laser dentistry and gentle, compassionate general dental care in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently situated with extended hours to meet your needs. At THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®, we offer most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures, complete dental rebuilding, sleep apnea, and TMJ/ Headache management. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover affordable up-to-date dentistry and a team who truly cares at THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®.