Scrambling to get your daily coffee fix may be worth it in more ways than one. Research shows that a cup of Joe may lower your risk for some types of cancer.
Here are just a few of the studies supporting how coffee prevents oral cancer and other diseases:
- Oral cancer: More than four cups of coffee per day decreases oral and head cancers by 39% (Can Epidemiol Bio Prev, June 2010).
- Uterine cancer: Women who drink more than two cups of coffee per day have less chance of developing uterine cancer (Can Epidemiol Bio Prev, January 2015).
- Prostate cancer: Men who have six cups of coffee per day reduce their prostate cancer risk by 60% (Sci Daily, December 2009).
- Brain cancer: At least five cups of coffee per day prevents certain types of brain cancer by 40% (Can Epidemiol Bio Prev, January 2010).
- Colon cancer: At least two cups of coffee per day can cut colon cancer risk by 25% (AACR meeting abstract, 2014).
- Breast cancer: At least three cups of coffee per day can prevent or delay the onset of certain types of breast cancer (Sci Daily, April 2008).
- Liver cancer: A recent study showed that one to three cups of coffee per day reduces the risk for developing hepatocellular carcinoma by 29% (Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2013).
- Melanoma: Coffee users who drink four cups or more per day are 20% less likely to develop malignant melanoma than non–coffee drinkers (JNCI, January 2015).
- Pancreatic cancer: A reduced risk of pancreatic cancer was seen in men who drank at least three cups of coffee per day. This effect was not seen in women (World J Gastroenterol).
Here at THE SCIENCE OF SMILES® we routinely check for oral cancer — which appears as a growth or sore in the mouth that does not go away. Oral cancer, including cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, and hard palate, can be life threatening if not diagnosed and treated early.
Is it time for an appointment? Give us a call!
THE SCIENCE OF SMILES® offers affordable cosmetic and laser dentistry and gentle, compassionate general dental care in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover affordable up-to-date dentistry and a team who truly cares at THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®.