Aging is inevitable. But while we can masque some signs of aging with lotions and cosmetics, diet and exercise — there is little we can do about how our mouth ages.
Even with thorough dental care, and a healthy oral hygiene regime, our mouths will see gradual changes over time. Some of these changes can easily go unnoticed — others, however, have the potential to cause big problems.
The most common changes an aging mouth may face include:
- Loss of taste
- Textures of food seem different
- Difficulty chewing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Chronic dry mouth
Making foods unappetizing or difficult to eat, these conditions often lead older adults to stray away from their normal diets. It’s important to manage changes in your mouth to ensure your body is getting all essential nutrients.
If an aging mouth is a concern for you, here are some tips to help you stay on top of these changes:
- Add more spices to flavor foods rather than salt or use an artificial sweetener (like Stevia) instead of sugar.
- Increase fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet to help with nutrition and taste. Canned and processed foods are less flavorful and contain more sodium and sugar.
- Eat slowly to taste your food and prevent choking.
- Cut foods into small pieces and chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- Have a glass of water available whenever you eat.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to relieve dry mouth.
It’s important to talk to us as soon as you begin noticing any changes in your mouth. As every mouth is unique, we can help make recommendations that are specific to your needs.
ABOUT THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®
THE SCIENCE OF SMILES® offers affordable cosmetic and laser dentistry and gentle, compassionate general dental care in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently situated with extended hours to meet your needs. At THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®, we offer most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures, complete dental rebuilding, sleep apnea, and TMJ/ Headache management. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover affordable up-to-date dentistry and a team who truly cares at THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®.