With now 2 professional football teams and a bevy of robust college teams (go USC!) — Southern California becomes a very busy place on the weekends for tailgaters.
And why not?
Tailgating can be one of the best parts of football! After all, it usually involves great food, great drinks and great company. Not to mention, it’s a great way to prep for a game — no matter how the game actually turns out.
But for those folks who are concerned about their waistlines (who isn’t?) as well as their oral health — tailgating food can turn unhealthy — quickly. So here are some ideas for a tooth-healthy tailgating.
Best Food Choices for Tailgating
The best food choices for the health of your mouth include cheeses, chicken or other meats, nuts and milk. These foods will protect tooth enamel by providing calcium and phosphorus.
Other good food choices include firm/crunchy fruits ( apples and pears) and vegetables. These foods have a high water content, which dilutes the effects of the sugars they contain, and stimulate the flow of saliva (which helps protect against decay by washing away food particles and buffering acid).
Here are some other healthy ideas to get you through the pre-game party:
- Create a cheese and meat platter. Everyone loves crackers topped with cheese!
- Create a low sugar nut-rich granola and put in a big bowl so that people can grab a handful.
- Try a healthier dip with whole grain chips – use low-fat cream cheese, a packet of low-fat ranch dip, one can of corn (drained), 2 jalapenos (seeded and chopped) and ½ red pepper (chopped).
- Instead of beef, grill chicken and serve it on skewers or whole wheat buns.
- Try a fruit salad with a low-fat dip made out of vanilla pudding and whipped cream. Cut up your favorite berries, pears, melons and pineapple.
ABOUT THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®
THE SCIENCE OF SMILES® offers affordable cosmetic and laser dentistry and gentle, compassionate general dental care in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently situated with extended hours to meet your needs. At THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®, we offer most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures, complete dental rebuilding, sleep apnea, and TMJ/ Headache management. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover affordable up-to-date dentistry and a team who truly cares at THE SCIENCE OF SMILES®.